Events Northwest Ohio Wildlife Forums Birds First good neotropical migration day of 2019 – May 1, Ottawa Lake

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Grumpy old man May 1, 2019 at 2:19 pm.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Grumpy old man
    Participant

After an uneventful April, May started off with a moderate “bang” here in Ottawa Lake, MI. In my little corner of the world, there was both decent diversity and numbers today, though nothing rare. Of the 73 species for the day, I did have a slightly-early Gray-cheeked thrush, and plenty of “FOY” (first of year) birds. Some highlights from the yard:

8 species of warblers: Yellow-rumped, Yellow (23), Palm, Black-and-White, Nashville, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Waterthrush, Black-throated Green. The number of Yellow Warblers was by far and away my high 1 day count, and they outnumbered the Yellow-rumps.

Orioles, grosbeaks: A busy day. At one point, a dozen Baltimores and 2 Orchard Orioles and 5 adult male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were at the feeders. There were more Baltimores in the back woods.

Also new for the year (for me anyway) included Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Red-eyed Vireo, Eastern Kingbird, catbird and Indigo Bunting. 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches was a new day high, with all 3 at the feeder at once and some Purple Finches rounded out a very fun day.

-GL

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.